Friday, May 21, 2010

Happy 18th Joshua!!


Well, today is the day.  My young man turns 18!  At 9:05 am, he entered this world 18 years ago at 8 pounds, 5 ounces and 23 1/2 inches long!  Things were a big tenuous for me on that day.  My heart did not handle the anesthesia well and my heartbeat was lost three times.  It left me with a heart condition known as cardiomyopathy.  However, God in His infinitie mercy, allowed me the privilege of being called "mom" by this young man.  It has been my honor and my joy these last 18 years.




Some of the funny things along life's jouney with Joshua.  At the age of three he was walking outside holding my hand in the dark.  He looked up and saw the moon and was completely delighted.  He exclaimed "I found the moon for you, Mommy!"  It would be years later that he would realize that he didn't really discover the moon but to this day we can be walking somewhere at night or even driving in the car and look at the moon and each other and either mouth the words or say them aloud "I found the moon for you".  It is one of those precious moments that has never gone away and I thank God for. 

Joshua loves my homemade spaghetti.  It's not like I am the world's greatest cook, but in this arena, he makes me feel like Emeril!  He and his buddies will gobble it up and will ask specifically for my pasta and then go on and on and on about my pasta.  He makes me feel like a queen.

Joshua has told me everyday that he loves me as well as this statement "are you glad your my mama because I'm glad I'm your son".  He would bound up three flights of stairs to make sure he hugged me and told me these things before he left the house before football practice. 

Joshua loves to eat!  Anything really.  He loves that God made food and all kinds of it and he has the healthiest appreciation of it.  Especially potato chips!!  A trip to the grocery store will entail at least 5 different bags of potato chips and you'll be hoping this makes it through the week.

Joshua loves people.  He is a chatterbox.  He knows no stranger and he loves to talk about the things of the Lord, politics, and the military.  He will be joining the US Army on June 9th.  He graduates next Friday.  There are so many changes coming his way.  He is excited about all of them.  I'm happy to have been a part of this young man's life thus far and can't wait to see what the Lord has for him.  He is a joyful young man who makes my cup run over on many occasions. 

Happy Birthday, Son.  Thank you for finding the moon for me.  My life would not have been the same without you.  You are such a joy!  I love you so much!



Abiding in Him ~ Debra Kaye

19 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

We wish him a very Happy Birthday my friend.
I know you are a proud Momma!
HUGS
Kim

Mikki said...

What a great post!!
So happy for him and you. You've done an amazing job raising a godly man.
Sounds like he captured your heart from birth..
God bless him as he continues to walk in obedience and faith..

Have a wonderful day celebrating with him!

Samantha said...

Aw what a sweet post! happy birthday to him! :)
Your one great momma :)

Patti said...

This is a lovely post!!! Such a fabulous young man you have raised. I wish him a very happy birthday, I thank him for his future service to our country, and I ask God's blessings on him.

Love,
Patti

Kristi said...

Please wish that handsome baby boy of yours a big Texas style happy birthday from Rachel and I! Blog land is so amazing...we love your son and we've never even met!

Debbie Petras said...

Happy Birthday Joshua!

May the Lord's hand be upon him and keep him safe.

What an amazing young man he really is. I see character in him that's rare in these days and at that age.

You're a great mom, Deb!

Love you,
Debbie

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday, Joshua!! Hope you have an awesome day.
Blessings,
andrea

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

What sweet...sweet..memories of Josh!!

Happy Birthday to him....and know I'm praying for you...as he prepares for his next!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your handsome man. Marionberry just turned 17 yesterday and this will be a year filled with mixed emotions.

Beautiful post!
~Tamara

bp said...

Happy birthday Joshua!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories Debra. I've enjoyed learning about him through your posts and will be praying for him and you in the coming months of changes.

Karen said...

Happy 18th Birthday, Joshua!

What a special young man, Debra...the memories you shared are precious...what a blessing the Lord gave you!

Michelle said...

How sweet, my heart just melts.
Please tell him Happy Birthday!
May God bless you & him.

luvmy4sons said...

What a handsome young man. What a blessing for you. I am so glad for this blessing in your life sweet sister.

Denise said...

Wishing your precious son a very beautiful, blessed birthday.

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Happy Birthday Joshua!

After reading this post, I can quickly see why your mom is so special to you!!

Blessings to both of you!

Sonja

McCrakensx4 said...

Wow! 18...and so many exciting things happening in the next few months for him! Wishing him the best birthday ever!! And ((hugs)) to you mom for raising a wonderful son!

LisaShaw said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your handsome son. I pray blessings over him and his life.

Love you!

He & Me + 3 said...

happy belated birthday to Josh. What a sweet sweet son you have.
Hope his year is blessed.
Hugs,
Mimi

petrii said...

Oh how special!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSHUA!!

My son will turn 18 in August, and he starts his Senior Year a day before his birthday. WOW the time flies huh?

You have made some very precious memories.

Have a Blessed evening,
Dawn

Would you like to listen to some music while you browse?