Monday, December 8, 2008

Press on my son, press on

Joshua came home from work Saturday and shared with his father and I that he had a most interesting conversation with a young girl he worked with. He believes she goes to college. She is a cashier and he is a bag boy at a local supermarket.

The customer they were assisting was buying a 24 pack of beer and the girl remarked "that looks like my idea of a good time". Joshua made no comment. His lack of agreement seemed to spark a confrontation with the girl when he came back from assisting the customer to his car.

She immediately began to start questioning him. "Do you drink? Don't you think it's a fun time?" When he told her it was not his idea of a good time and he had no desire to drink she scoffed at him and told him he was weird and would change his mind when he got to college one day.

His response "Can you tell me the fun part? The waking up the next morning and not remembering who you were with or what you did and feeling sick...is that it? Because that does not appeal to me at all. And you have the audacity to call me weird?"

"No, you see me, I like to hang out with my friends and watch sports and I like to hang out with my parents and watch movies and I like to make memories that I can actually remember and I like to feel good." "And it makes me feel good to help those less fortunate than me".

He said when he looked at her, she was just standing there and had nothing more to say. She was no longer argumentative, nor was she defensive. She was just still. Jay and I are especially proud when Josh comes in and talks with us about the times he tells us he stands for the principles he believes in.

Jay had just recently had devotions with Josh about the importance of keeping in the Word because of how much the world will try to pull at him, especially as he gets older and will face more and more of these challenges.

Press on my son, press on.






Blessings to you!!

34 comments:

Karen said...

This is my first time on your blog,and I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading about your son. It was very encouraging to read. Thank you for sharing it.
Karen

Unknown said...

What an awesome and encouraging post!

So proud of you Joshua! Great job and the LORD is smiling down as well! Keep praying for that young girl and watch the LORD work right before your eyes!

Love,
Jill

Alicia The Snowflake said...

What an encouraging story! It brings tears to my eyes Debra! It is so nice to know that our children can grow up and honor the Lord. Thank you for that encouragement my friend!

Marsha said...

What a wonderful testimony ... to hear of a teen who 'gets it'!
Yes, Joshua, press on. There is joy in the journey even when the road gets rough.

luvmy4sons said...

Waht an awesome son you have...he must have some awesome parents too!

April said...

Debra,

What a wonderful young man you have there! You and your husband are definitely doing something right. You have instilled in him a set of strong morals and values which enables him to defend anything the Devil throws his way! Great, inspiring story!

bp said...

That's such a wonderful testimony. Thanks for sharing of Joshua and his witness to those around him.

Melanie said...

What a testimony Josh was to this girl! What a great kid he must be... I know you are so proud of him! I'll be praying he has the courage to continue to speak out for our Lord.

More Than Words said...

Oh..love it!!!!!

I'm sure you feel so proud of him!! What a blessing it must have been for you to hear this story!!

Way to go Joshua!! I love it when I hear about the youth today standing up for what they know is RIGHT!!

LAURIE said...

Very cool. My sons have had similiar situations on their job sites. What a great reminder that instead of grumbling about the place we work that we should look at it like a mission field...the fields are ripe for the picking! -Blessings, Laurie

Kelly said...

Once again... what an amazing young man!! I may have to keep you on speed dial when my boy reaches the teen years! I am so NOT ready for that! Have a good week!

Debbie Petras said...

Debra, you're teaching him well. It must be nice when you actually get to hear about him in action. I think it's so important to use these opportunities to share our faith in a respectful way; not arrogant or obnoxious. Josh seems to do it just right!

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

Good Job Josh! That is amazing. I am hopeful that my boys will one day be able to speak out for the things that they believe in without hesitation. I love that he is a solid young man and has his feet planted on the rock and not the sand!!!

He & Me + 3 said...

That is just so beautiful. Gosh, I am so proud of Josh and he is not even my son. What an awesome young man and again so wise in the ways of the Lord. You & Jay should be so proud.
Love Ya Bunches!
Mimi

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Woo Hoo! Way to go Josh!!!! Give him a high 5 from me!
Hugs to you my sister.

Denise said...

Josh is such a dear blessing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, a priceless entry! Giving Him all the glory and may your son continue to shine for Him.

Have a spirit filled day,
~Mrs.Cuddles

Daphine said...

What an awesome story! I tell that Josh definitely has a good head on his shoulders. You guys have done quite well in raising him and being an example to him.

Praise God!

Love the picture you added at the end. Very fitting!

Laurie Ann said...

Press on, indeed! May he always stand up for his convictions! He planted a seed in this girl and I pray it's watered and grows.

Leaon Mary said...

OH DEBRA,
This just blessed me so much! Press On Josh, Press on!! I'm so proud of him and I just prayed for the girl too. She SAW JESUS IN JOSH... and who knows how that will change her life?! PRAISE GOD!

What a STRONG GODLY MAN young Josh is becoming. I GIVE GOD THE GLORY for you ALL!

smoochy holy kisses,
Lea

Patti said...

Awesome testimony!! May those seeds he planted in the girl's heart begin to take root.

You have great reason to be proud of Joshua. May he continue to be bold for the Lord.

Love,
Patti

momstheword said...

What an awesome son you have! Mine is in his second year at college and he is always trying to "squeeze" the Lord in whenever he can. If he has to write a paper or speak in class, he tries to do it from a Christian perspective instead of a wordly one. He has a little trouble getting Jesus in his math class, but hey, He is a God or order!

I have an award for you on my blog!

Lisa said...

I have said prayers for Josh and the friend that he has been talking to about the Lord, do you know how that is coming.
I am so glad to hear of his response to that girl... this world needs more bold teens like that. I pray my kids will be like that and that the Lord will give me wisdom on how to teach them to be that way.

Mikki said...

Don't you just love it when God allows us to see some of the fruit of our labor. He doesn't have to.. but it's so nice when we can see the 'generation upon generation' being lived out.
What a great post!

Speaking from the Heart said...

An apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Joshua has two Godly parents who guide him daily. Great job, Debra & Jay.

Love and hugs,
Jean

McCrakensx4 said...

Debra, You and Jay have every reason to be pround. What a Godly man Josh is and I can only hope and pray and train up my boys in the same way. Blessings to you this week!
~Stacey xoxo

Lisa said...

I will continue to pray for him until you tell me he has received salvation, I also pray for Josh that God would led him to others that need his compassion and to know about Christ. I am studying the prayer that changes everything by Stormie Omartin and now that I have learned some new ways to pray I enjoy it so much more and I know my prayers are more effective.

Lisa said...

I will continue to pray for him until you tell me he has received salvation, I also pray for Josh that God would led him to others that need his compassion and to know about Christ. I am studying the prayer that changes everything by Stormie Omartin and now that I have learned some new ways to pray I enjoy it so much more and I know my prayers are more effective.

More Than Words said...

Hi Debra! I have something for you at my blog!! :)

Beth in NC said...

I just found your blog through Momstheword. I know you must be so proud of your son. I pray God will water the seeds he planted with that young woman.

Bless you!
Beth

Sunny Shell said...

Oh sister Debra,

Hallelujah to our King Jesus! WOW! This is just incredible and I KNOW it's only from Christ. Only Jesus has that kind of authority when He speaks! And how amazingly blessed it is that your Joshua got to witness THE Yeshua speak through him!

God is glorious and I am so in awe of Him!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Love you dear sister,
Sunny

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

This is my first visit to you. I love what you are saying here. Have a Blessed week...m..

Staci Loalbo said...

Good Job JOsh !!!! What a great Story!!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Glory! Press on!!

Made me smile and cheer!

Would you like to listen to some music while you browse?